Recipe via Delish
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 large apples, cored and peeled
- Caramel, warmed, for dipping
- Make the batter: Combine milk, egg, flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring until all of the large clumps are broken up. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar with remaining 3 teaspoons cinnamon for dusting the finished apple fries. Set aside.
- Pour about 1" vegetable oil into a skillet over medium-high heat. Slice apples into small wedges, about ½" thick.
Using tongs, dip each apple slice into the batter, then gently lower into the oil. Once the edges of the apple slices are lightly golden, use the tongs to gently flip and cook the other side, about 1 minute more.
Remove apple fries from oil, one at a time, and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess grease. Sprinkle both sides with the cinnamon-sugar blend and serve with caramel for dipping.