Barbecue season is upon us once again. If you have a garden party planned for the weekend, here’s our top tips on how to make it a special and fun occasion that will seriously impress your guests.
1. Invitations: Things to include on the invitation – date, time to arrive, when they’ll be eating, what they’ll be eating, dress code, and rain plans (‘game night indoors!’).
2. Seats: Make sure you have enough seats. Once you have a confirmed guest list, assess your furniture. If you only have five patio chairs but 15 guests, you’ll need to look at your indoor furniture. If you have a big garden, keep things casual and have a picnic-style affair with comfy quilts and blankets spread around.
3. Rain plans: With the UK’s unreliable weather, you should always have a back-up plan in case the rain arrives on your party night. Bring the barbecue inside with a game and/or movie night.
4. Lighting: Always go for mood lighting as it’s key to setting your party’s atmosphere. Hang fairy or string lights with paper lanterns around trees and dining areas to create a cosy ambiance. And remember, always light up pathways and steps.
5. Set up beverage stations: You should always get your guests their first drink but between large numbers and being busy with the food preparation, you won’t have the time for refills. Set up a couple of beverage stations around the garden and indoors so guests can help themselves. It’s also a great way to encourage people to start conversations with others.
6. Music: Never let your party be silent; if the conversations aren’t flowing, always have music playing. Good speakers and a couple of playlists on Spotify are all you need to be DJ for the night.